Mold is also known to cause asthma and potentially fatal primary and secondary infections in immunocompromised patients who have been exposed. Exposure to toxic mold has also been linked to more serious long-term effects, such as memory loss, insomnia, anxiety, depression, difficulty concentrating and confusion. Mold sensitivity can cause throat irritation, coughing, wheezing, nasal congestion, eye irritation, and skin irritation. People with mold allergies and who experience long-term exposure to mold may have more serious reactions.
If you have chronic lung disease or an impaired immune system, the infection caused by exposure to mold may affect you more severely. Long-term exposure to mold can have a negative effect on memory, specifically on short-term memory. Exposure to mold can cause problems with concentration, judgment, and general brain function. Exposure to humid and moldy environments can cause a variety of health effects, or none at all.
Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, exposure to mold can cause symptoms such as nasal congestion, wheezing, and redness or itching in the eyes or skin. Some people, such as those who are allergic to mold or who have asthma, may have more severe reactions. Serious reactions can occur among workers exposed to large amounts of mold in occupational settings, such as farmers who work around moldy hay.
Serious reactions may include fever and shortness of breath. As mold grows, spores, cells, fragments, and unstable organic compounds can enter the air. They can produce allergens, irritants and mycotoxins. Some of these can be toxic, especially for people who are sensitive to them.
When trying to determine how long a person can safely live in a moldy house, it is first important to determine the individual sensitivities of the people involved. In general, a person can live in a mold-infested house for several years, although some people may experience severe discomfort. For example, if you have asthma or mold allergies, you may have frequent asthma attacks or painful allergy symptoms, such as dark skin rashes, severe itching, sneezing, and general discomfort. If you have a strong immune system and are not sensitive to mold, you may not notice any symptoms.
Mold can be a health problem, especially for people with an allergy, an existing respiratory problem, or a weakened immune system. Sudden coughing, skin irritation and difficulty breathing are possible symptoms of mold and a good reason to do a proper test at home. These case reports are rare and a causal relationship between the presence of toxigenic mold and these conditions has not been demonstrated. Exposure to black mold can be harmful in the long term, especially for people with respiratory problems and other risk factors.
Even so, black mold can cause unwanted side effects, especially in people who are sensitive to mold. Mold allergies can cause symptoms similar to other allergies, such as hay fever or seasonal allergies. However, some people may be more sensitive to mold spores than others and may develop respiratory symptoms after inhaling even a small amount of spores. According to a ScienceDirect report, there is a correlation between living exposed to mold and depression.
If you're allergic or sensitive to mold, it's important to avoid direct contact with mold as much as possible. You don't need to know the type of mold that grows in your home, and CDC doesn't recommend or routinely sample. Toxic mold syndrome is described as “a legal construct, rather than a medical diagnosis, involving unidentified pathological processes, a constellation of disparate symptoms. While they're often related to other problems, even isolated headaches can be a sign that mold is growing in the home.
The mold that grows can be removed from hard surfaces with commercial products, soap and water, or with a bleaching solution of no more than 1 cup (8 ounces) of bleach in 1 gallon of water to kill mold on surfaces. .
Leave a Comment